NATO is likely that “Poland’s missile” was launched from Ukraine

NATO is likely that “Poland’s missile” was launched from Ukraine
NATO is likely that “Poland’s missile” was launched from Ukraine

NATO is likely that “Poland’s missile” was launched from Ukraine

image rights Reuters

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told the BBC the missile that killed two people in Poland on Tuesday may have been launched by Ukraine.

While the investigation into the explosion near the border with Ukraine continues, Stoltenberg said: “It is most likely a Ukrainian anti-aircraft missile.”

However, he stressed that Russia ultimately bears the blame for its ongoing invasion of Ukraine.

Kyiv insists Russia fired the missile.

“I have no doubt that this is not our missile,” said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy in a televised address. “Based on our military reports, I believe it is a Russian missile,” he added.

He said it was necessary to allow Ukraine to participate in the investigation into the explosion, which took place at a farm 6 km from the border between the two countries.

Ukraine’s air defense systems were activated on Tuesday as Russia launched what is believed to be the largest wave of missile attacks in nine months since the invasion began on February 24.

Dozens of Russian missiles have struck Ukraine, but Kyiv says it has managed to shoot down most of them.

And the attack, which took place in connection with the G20 summit in Indonesia, caused protests from a number of countries.

The news of a missile landing in NATO member Poland also raised fears that the war could escalate dangerously.

In response, Stoltenberg said NATO had pledged to provide Ukraine with “a more advanced air defense system.” Ukraine is not a NATO member but receives extensive military aid.

“I attended a meeting of a support group for Ukraine, where NATO allies and partners made new commitments for more advanced air defense systems so we can help launch Russian missiles,” the NATO Secretary General said.

But the best way to prevent such cases in the future is for Russia to end the war.

“We have no evidence that this was a deliberate attack by Russia,” he said from NATO headquarters in Brussels.

But he added: “There is no doubt that Russia is responsible for this, because this would not have happened if Russia had not launched a spate of rocket attacks on Ukrainian cities yesterday, as it has done many times before during this war.”

Polish President Andrzej Duda previously said that although the blast may have been caused by a Russian-made S-300 missile, there is no evidence it was launched by the Russian side.

When asked about the possibility of peace talks between Moscow and Kyiv, Stoltenberg said previous attempts had shown that Russian President Vladimir Putin was “not willing to compromise or negotiate”.

He said: “We must understand that if Putin and Russia stop fighting, we will achieve peace, but if Zelenskyy and Ukraine stop fighting, then Ukraine will cease to exist as an independent, sovereign state.”

Commenting on the war on Wednesday, a senior US general said there could be a “political solution whereby the Russians politically withdraw from Ukraine.”

But General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, warned that Ukraine’s early military victory was unlikely, despite its recent battlefield successes.

“The possibility of an early Ukrainian military victory, and that means expelling the Russians from all parts of Ukraine, including Crimea, is not great from a military point of view,” he told reporters at the Pentagon.


#NATO #Polands #missile #launched #Ukraine

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top