A Syrian woman is the prime suspect in the Istanbul bombing… and 46 arrests
Istanbul Police announced today, Monday, 46 arrests in connection with the Istanbul bombing that… killed at least 6 people, Noting that Syria planted the bomb and admitted that it acted on orders from the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and received instructions in Kobani in north-eastern Syria.
Police added that the Syrian woman who carried out the attack in Istanbul said she was trained by Kurdish militants. Police said the perpetrator of the attack, Ahlam al-Bashir, planted the bomb on Istiklal Street and entered Turkey illegally from the area between Afrin and Idlib. Some Turkish media have published a picture of the Syrian defendant.
This is because the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) denied its connection to the Istanbul bombing.
The Istanbul Police Department announced that the terrorist who carried out the attack in Taksim was Ahlam Albashir, a Syrian citizen.
The terrorist admitted to having been trained by the PKK/PYD to become a special intelligence agency.
– New morning (@yenisafak) November 14, 2022
This comes as a senior Turkish official said the attacker from Istanbul believed to have entered the country from Syria and that the attacker was believed to be linked to Kurdish militants, “but we don’t rule out links to ISIS.”
The Turkish official added that Turkey has angered Kurdish militants and ISIS fighters with operations in Syria and Turkey.
Turkey’s Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu today told the official Anadolu Agency that the person who planted a bomb on Istiklal Street in Istanbul has been arrested. It killed at least 6 people.
The Turkish government blamed Kurdish militants for the blast and said police arrested 22 suspects, including the person who planted the bomb. Soylu accused the PKK of being responsible The bloody attack in Istanbul.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Vice President Fuat Aktay had previously said that a “woman” was responsible for the attack, but the interior minister did not discuss it on Monday.
“According to our conclusions, the Kurdish Workers’ Party terrorist organization” is responsible for the attack, Soylu said, announcing the arrest of a person accused of planting a bomb on Istiklal Street.
Six people were killed and 81 others injured yesterday, Sunday, in an explosion that shook the crowded pedestrianized Istiklal Street in central Istanbul, in an incident which President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said was carried out by a bomb and “smelt of terrorism.” “.
On Sunday evening, Turkey’s Vice President Fuat Aktay accused a “woman” of “detonating a bomb” without specifying whether she was among the dead.
In a statement televised live, the Turkish president denounced a “heinous attack”. He stressed that “initial information points to a terrorist attack,” noting that “a woman may be involved” without giving further details, a story the Home Office later ignored.
Alleged Istanbul suicide bomber and an unconfirmed report
And rumors spread immediately after a suicide bombing blew up without any confirmation or evidence.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Erdogan promised that “the identity of the perpetrators of this heinous attack will be revealed. Our people will be sure that we will punish the perpetrators.”
Erdogan had previously faced a series of attacks between 2015 and 2016 that caused panic in the country, killing about 500 people and injuring more than 2,000, some of whom were claimed by ISIS.
And police imposed a wide security cordon to prevent access to the area for fear of a second blast. An AFP photographer reported that the massive deployment of security forces also blocked all access to the neighborhood and surrounding streets.
Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu rushed to the scene and wrote on Twitter: “I was informed by the Istiklal (Street) fire teams. They are continuing their work in coordination with the police.” He offered his condolences to the families of the victims.
In the neighboring district of Galata, many shops closed early. An AFP journalist reported that some bystanders ran from the scene with tears in their eyes.
As night fell, the outdoor terraces of the restaurants in this tourist district were almost empty.
The blast caused feelings of sadness and horror among residents of this district of Istanbul, who had witnessed such an attack in the past. The games of the top football clubs in Istanbul have been cancelled.
Istiklal Street in the historic Beyoglu district is one of the most famous streets in Istanbul, stretching 1.4 km in length and is entirely pedestrianised. An old tram with shops and restaurants runs in the center and is visited by about three million people a day on weekends.
In March 2016, the street witnessed a suicide bombing that killed four people.
#Syrian #woman #prime #suspect #Istanbul #bombing.. #arrests